Try this sneaky bolognese recipe that gives the classic dish a secret sauce makeover with the inclusion of zucchini and broccoli.
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 2kgs of pork and beef mince (I like to batch cook and freeze the leftovers)
- 1 large broccoli (250g), trimmed and roughly chopped
- 1 large zucchini, trimmed and roughly chopped
- 2 cans of tomatoes 500grams of tomato paste sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Your choice of pasta to serve with
1. Place the oil in a large, deep-sided nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and oregano. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, for 6 minutes or until the onion is soft and golden.
2. Add the mince and increase heat to high. Cook, breaking up any lumps with the spoon, for 8-10 minutes or until browned all over.
3. Add the cans of tomatoes and also the tomato paste to the mince! Stir through and half fill up the jar with water. Pour excess paste and water into mince.
4. Place the broccoli and courgette in a food processor and pulse until super fine. We don’t have one so I use a hand held diver from kitchen aid. Add to the mince and cook, stirring a little, for 5 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
4. Add salt and pepper and stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low and simmer (gentle bubbles) for 1-2hrs depending on how much time you have.
5. While the sauce is simmering, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8-10 minutes or until soft.
6. Divide the hot pasta among your BIBO bowls for the kids and adult bowls and then top with the bolognese sauce, plus some finely grated cheese (if you like).
Let me know what you think and are you going to give this a go?